Northern Arizona Academy is proud to offer Teen AA MPOWRD programming on both campuses.
MPOWRD addresses many issues that teens may have, in a safe and empowering format. If your teen wants to attend meetings, it is a positive choice. A teen is simply saying that there is hope for change, that life isn’t perfect, and that peer support is important. Most teens attend meetings because they need time to process some of life’s issues. MPOWRD is a proven program that teens created to ensure a safe and supportive environment. Enabling a teen to attend meetings can be a way to begin finding support for your child.
Important Information for Parents
- MPOWRD describes “addiction” as a habit that is causing personal harm. It could range from smoking, to drinking/drugs, to poor attendance, to “putting oneself or others down,” to co-dependent relations, to always being negative, to “just wanting to feel better about life,” etc.
- Teens insisted that they develop their own program, since “adult” programs didn’t relate to them. Two-hundred teens, over a five year period, developed MPOWRD as a universal program for this generation.
- AA World Services had no objections to Teen AA edited steps as created specifically for this program. Former U.S. Congressmen John Shadegg (R), and Brian Baird (D) endorsed the program, which was then passed by the U.S. Ethics Committee.
- Teens chose NOT to share individual addictive behavior. They felt that disclosure of “use” was simply a “trigger,” and that frequently teens tried to out “outdo” each other. Teens would not be defined by their addictive behavior, but instead, they would focus on positive life skills and support.
- Confidentiality is respected, unless a teen discloses that he/she is doing something illegal or may self or others. This rule is read at the beginning of each meeting.
- Meetings are always optional. They may be offered, however, as a choice for support.
For more information, please contact Karen Jestis, our Teen AA facilitator, and visit http://www.teenaddictionanonymous.com/home