Northern Arizona Academy shall provide an educational environment that treats all students with dignity and respect. Every homeless student shall have access to the same free and appropriate educational opportunities as students who are not homeless without being stigmatized or segregated on the basis of homeless status. This commitment to the educational rights of homeless youth applies to all services, programs, and activities provided or made available.
A student may be considered eligible for services as a “Homeless Youth” under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act if he or she is presently living in one of the following conditions due to hardship:
- In a shelter, temporary shared housing, or transitional living program.
- In a hotel/motel, campground, or similar situation due to lack of alternatives.
- At a bus station, park, car, or abandoned building.
- In temporary or transitional foster care placement.
According to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act, eligible students have rights to:
Immediate enrollment: Documentation and immunization records cannot serve as a barrier to enrollment in school.
School selection: McKinney Vento eligible students have a right to select from the following schools:
- The school he/she attended when permanently housed.
- The school in which he/she was last enrolled.
- The school the in the attendance area in which the student currently resides.
Remain enrolled in his/her selected school for the duration of homelessness, or until the academic year upon which they are permanently housed.
Participate in programs for which they are eligible, including Title I, National School Breakfast and Lunch Programs, Head Start, Even Start, etc.
Transportation services: A McKinney Vento eligible students attending his/her School of Origin has a right to transportation to and from the School of Origin.
Dispute Resolution: If you disagree with school officials about enrollment, transportation, or fair treatment of a homeless youth, please contact the Executive Director Klara Everson or the Homeless Liaison Karen Jestis. We will respond and attempt to resolve the matter quickly.